Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day Food Fest



What better way to spend a blizzardy day then warm and toasty in your kitchen!
Today started with dinner - backwards you say?? But, it is clearly the perfect day for a crock pot supper!
So, stew it is.



This recipe is a favourite of mine, and I have made it often.
It is from the Company's Coming Slow Cooker Recipes book.

Chick Pea Stew
Dried Chick Peas 2 1/2 cups
Chopped Onion 1 1/2 cups
Medium Carrots, cut julienne 2
Dried Sweet Basil 1/2 tsp
Pepper 1/4 tsp
Water 5 1/2 cups

Beef (or pork) stew meat, 1 lb.
cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Cooking oil 1 1/2 tsp

Canned tomatoes, drained, 14 oz
juice reserved
Beef Bouillon powder 1 Tbsp
Salt 1 tsp

Reserved Tomato Juice
All-purpose flour 3 Tbsp

Combine first 6 ingredients in 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.

Brown beef quickly in hot cooking oil in frying pan. Add to slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 to 5 hours.

Add tomato, bouillon powder, and salt.

Slowly whisk tomato juice into flour in small bowl. Stir into slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour. Stir before serving. Makes 9 1/2 cups.

*I added 2 stalks of celery, diced


Once the stew was finally on the go, and the little guy was sufficiently starving, I started on brekky which of course could only be pancakes on a day like today. I utilized his help in the stirring department to keep him from being angry about his breakfast delay which seemed to work. Little ones just love to get involved. It seems to be the answer to a lot of things.



After the syrup bath was cleaned up off the high chair and floor, pancake mess all sorted, a few stories read and a nap underway, I was able to get down to a little bread baking. Stew and fresh bread - could there be a better snow day dinner?
I have contemplated so many times about getting a bread maker, but I REALLY love the feel of that dough. Though the task looms occasionally, once I start it really is meditative, and I'm pretty sure I would miss it.





I am thoroughly looking forward to this evening. Just over an hour to go!
Keep warm!
xo

1 comment:

  1. The bread looks so yummy! What a good day you had. xo

    ReplyDelete